Samsung Electronics today acknowledged a major flaw with its fingerprint system in the Galaxy S10.
Samsung Electronics is the flagship subsidiary of the giant Samsung Group and crucial to South Korea’s economic health. The conglomerate is by far the biggest of the family-controlled empires that dominate business in the world’s 11th-largest economy.
But it has a history of humiliating setbacks with major products, most notably a worldwide recall of its Galaxy Note 7 devices in 2016 over exploding batteries, which hammered its reputation.
Earlier this year it had to delay the launch of its first foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Fold, after pre-release users found faulty screens.
Samsung’s latest problem emerged after a user in the UK told the Sun newspaper earlier this week her Galaxy S10 smartphone could be unlocked by someone else simply by putting on a screen protector and applying an unregistered fingerprint.
The flaw meant anyone who got hold of her phone could transfer funds using her financial apps, the user told the British paper.
In a statement released Friday, Samsung said the issue involved “fingerprint sensors unlocking devices after recognising three-dimensional patterns appearing on certain silicone screen protecting cases as users’ fingerprints.”
The firm advised users of the Galaxy Note10, 10+ and Galaxy S10, S10+, and S10 5G to “delete all previous fingerprints” and register their data anew.
“Please refrain from applying a silicone screen protecting case to your device until a software update, which is planned to be released beginning next week,” it added.
The statement was released a day after Samsung said it would soon roll out a fix, but did not specify what the problem was.
The world’s biggest smartphone maker has touted the Galaxy S10’s in-display fingerprint sensor as “revolutionary”.
“When you place your thumb on the screen, it sends ultrasonic pulses to detect the 3D ridges and valleys of your unique fingerprint to quickly and accurately recognise you,” the firm has said about the technology involved.
Kakaobank, South Korea’s internet-only bank, has told its customers not to use fingerprints to access its mobile banking services and employ passwords and pattern locks instead until the problem is fixed
Metuh’s Lawyer Blows Hot, Vows To Appeal ‘Bad Judgement’
The trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, on Tuesday, convicted Metuh, on seven counts of money laundering and criminal diversion of funds to the tune of N400 million.
Justice Abang sentenced Metuh to seven years imprisonment in respect to Counts One to Three.
On Count Four, the former PDP spokesman was sentenced to five years while he got seven, three and seven years for Counts Five, Six, and Seven years respectively.
He, however, held that all the sentences should run concurrently, with effect from February 25, 2020.
Abel Ozioko, while briefing journalists after the judgement, said the judge was carrying out an experiment on his client.
“The judge confessed that an issue like this is novel; in other words, he was carrying out an experiment.
“For me, this is a good example of bad judgement, and we have our appeal in our hands, I still have confidence in the law court and we are heading upstairs to the three wise men to know whether he is right or wrong,” he maintained.
Meanwhile, Channels Television reports that Metuh, after the judgement, was taken to the Nigerian Correctional Service to begin his prison terms pending the hearing of an appeal when it is eventually filed.
Culled from Channels Tv…
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Metuh’s Lawyer Blows Hot, Vows To Appeal ‘Bad Judgement’
Alleged N4.9bn Laundering: Femi Fani-Kayode, Others To Resume Trials
Court Convicts Olisa Metuh To Seven Years In Prison After Four-Year Trial
Senate Pressures Buhari To Urgently Reconstitute Federal Character Commission Board
Review Judgment On Atiku’s Petition Against Buhari, PDP Urges Supreme Court
Aubameyang, Mahrez, African Players On The Spotlight In Europe
Brexit: EU Envoys Set To Finalise Mandate For UK Negotiation
Chief Okeke, Governorship Aspirant Blows Hot On The Need To Anchor Anambra on ICT Industrialization
Lai Mohammed Orders Implementation Of 70% Local Content In Broadcasting
Niger Army Kills 63 Terrorists In Attack On Military Base
UK Parliament Approves Historic Brexit Deal
FAAN Security Apprehends Intruder At MMA
12 Years After, NLNG Board Vote To Construct Multi-Billion-Dollar Gas Pipeline Project
China Launches Powerful Rocket Ahead Of Planned Mission To Mars
Challenged By China And Russia, US Launches Space Force
Ancelotti Appointed Everton Coach
NAN seeks stronger partnership with Chinese Embassy
Senate suspends plenary over colleague’s death
Impeachment fallout: New play about Nancy Pelosi to debut in Chicago
Buhari Committed To Good Governance, End Poverty – AU-NEPAD Boss
- Judge Gives EFCC Ultimatum To Extradite Diezani Madueke From The UK on
- We Are Ready To Release Sowore, DSS Insists Despite Falana’s Statement on
- BREAKING: Super Eagles Beat Squirrels Of Benin 2:1 on
- Gunmen Kill Three Policemen In Kaduna on
- Trump ‘Not Watching’ Impeachment Hearing – White House Spokeswoman on
- Court Adjourns Police Service Commission’s Suit Challenging IGP’s Powers on
- Israeli Strike On Damascus Kills Palestinian Figure’s Son on
- Over 30 Killed In Landslide In West Cameroon on
- “There Is No Lawsuit Against Me – G-WorldWide Is Misleading The Public” – Kizz Daniel Responds on
- MURIC Calls For Prosecution Of Four FRSC Officials For Alleged Murder on
- Jennifer Aniston Breaks World Guiness Records As The Fastest Person To Ever Amass 1million Followers On Instagram on
- Boko Haram Has Been Substantially Defeated – President Buhari on
- Federal Government, Labour Reach Agreement For Implementation Of N30,000 Minimum Wage For Nigerian Workers on
- Barcelona And Real Madrid Clasico Match Postponed Over Catalonia Protests on
- Malawi Police Accused Of Rape During Investigation on
- Cross River Lawmakers Shower Accolades On Young Politician on
- Samsung Acknowledges Galaxy S10 Fingerprint Access Flaw on
- Several Dozens Killed In Afghanistan Mosque Bombing on
- Prince William And Wife Begin Tour Of Pakistan on
- APC has Disintegrated Says PDP Following Attack On Adams Oshiomole on