Details of the five-day visit are being kept under wraps. Security is expected to be tight for the couple’s first official trip to Pakistan, and the first visit by a British royal since William’s father Charles and his wife Camilla came in 2006.
In addition to Islamabad they are set to visit the ancient Mughal capital of Lahore, as well as the mountainous north and the region near the border with Afghanistan in the west.
Kensington Palace has called the trip “the most complex tour undertaken by The Duke and Duchess to date, given the logistical and security considerations”.
The couple are also expected to meet Prime Minister Imran Khan, who was close friends with William’s mother, the late Princess Diana.
“I’ve always been struck by the warmth in Pakistan towards the Royal Family,” British High Commissioner Thomas Drew said in a video published to Twitter late Sunday.
The couple’s programme will pay respect to Britain’s historic relationship with Pakistan, once part of colonial India, he said.
“But it will focus largely on showcasing Pakistan as it is today, a dynamic, aspirational, and forward-looking nation,” Drew continued.
They are expected to see Pakistan’s efforts to combat climate change and learn about the “complex security” of the region, among other issues, a statement from Kensington Palace said earlier this month.
Pakistan has waged a long battle with militancy which has seen tens of thousands of people killed in the past 15 or so years.
Charles’ and Camilla’s 2006 trip was tainted when they were forced to pull out of a visit to Peshawar over safety concerns after the military launched an airstrike on a religious school that killed 80 people.
But security has improved dramatically since the army intensified a crackdown on militant groups in 2015, with several countries changing their travel warnings for Pakistan as a result, and Islamabad eager to promote both tourism and foreign investment.
There are promising signs, such as the British Airways return earlier this year after more than a decade, and the slow but steady revival of international cricket.
Analysts have long warned that Pakistan is not yet getting to the root causes of extremism, however, and militants retain the ability to carry out attacks, including in urban areas.
Moments before the couple’s arrival Monday, Qureshi used televised comments to invoke the memory of Diana, who charmed Pakistanis when she visited in her official capacity in 1991.
She also made several private visits in later years to help Khan — then a cricketer-turned-opposition politician married to her friend Jemima — raise money for a cancer hospital in Lahore.
“She is held in very high esteem in Pakistan… We are happy that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are now coming,” Qureshi said.
The visit showed that Pakistan has come out of “difficult times”, he added.
Pakistan was carved out of colonial India to become independent from Britain in 1947, creating an Islamic Republic for the subcontinent’s Muslims.
Metuh’s Lawyer Blows Hot, Vows To Appeal ‘Bad Judgement’
The trial judge, Justice Okon Abang, on Tuesday, convicted Metuh, on seven counts of money laundering and criminal diversion of funds to the tune of N400 million.
Justice Abang sentenced Metuh to seven years imprisonment in respect to Counts One to Three.
On Count Four, the former PDP spokesman was sentenced to five years while he got seven, three and seven years for Counts Five, Six, and Seven years respectively.
He, however, held that all the sentences should run concurrently, with effect from February 25, 2020.
Abel Ozioko, while briefing journalists after the judgement, said the judge was carrying out an experiment on his client.
“The judge confessed that an issue like this is novel; in other words, he was carrying out an experiment.
“For me, this is a good example of bad judgement, and we have our appeal in our hands, I still have confidence in the law court and we are heading upstairs to the three wise men to know whether he is right or wrong,” he maintained.
Meanwhile, Channels Television reports that Metuh, after the judgement, was taken to the Nigerian Correctional Service to begin his prison terms pending the hearing of an appeal when it is eventually filed.
Culled from Channels Tv…
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Metuh’s Lawyer Blows Hot, Vows To Appeal ‘Bad Judgement’
Alleged N4.9bn Laundering: Femi Fani-Kayode, Others To Resume Trials
Court Convicts Olisa Metuh To Seven Years In Prison After Four-Year Trial
Senate Pressures Buhari To Urgently Reconstitute Federal Character Commission Board
Review Judgment On Atiku’s Petition Against Buhari, PDP Urges Supreme Court
Aubameyang, Mahrez, African Players On The Spotlight In Europe
Brexit: EU Envoys Set To Finalise Mandate For UK Negotiation
Chief Okeke, Governorship Aspirant Blows Hot On The Need To Anchor Anambra on ICT Industrialization
Lai Mohammed Orders Implementation Of 70% Local Content In Broadcasting
Niger Army Kills 63 Terrorists In Attack On Military Base
UK Parliament Approves Historic Brexit Deal
FAAN Security Apprehends Intruder At MMA
12 Years After, NLNG Board Vote To Construct Multi-Billion-Dollar Gas Pipeline Project
China Launches Powerful Rocket Ahead Of Planned Mission To Mars
Challenged By China And Russia, US Launches Space Force
Ancelotti Appointed Everton Coach
NAN seeks stronger partnership with Chinese Embassy
Senate suspends plenary over colleague’s death
Impeachment fallout: New play about Nancy Pelosi to debut in Chicago
Buhari Committed To Good Governance, End Poverty – AU-NEPAD Boss
- Judge Gives EFCC Ultimatum To Extradite Diezani Madueke From The UK on
- We Are Ready To Release Sowore, DSS Insists Despite Falana’s Statement on
- BREAKING: Super Eagles Beat Squirrels Of Benin 2:1 on
- Gunmen Kill Three Policemen In Kaduna on
- Trump ‘Not Watching’ Impeachment Hearing – White House Spokeswoman on
- Court Adjourns Police Service Commission’s Suit Challenging IGP’s Powers on
- Israeli Strike On Damascus Kills Palestinian Figure’s Son on
- Over 30 Killed In Landslide In West Cameroon on
- “There Is No Lawsuit Against Me – G-WorldWide Is Misleading The Public” – Kizz Daniel Responds on
- MURIC Calls For Prosecution Of Four FRSC Officials For Alleged Murder on
- Jennifer Aniston Breaks World Guiness Records As The Fastest Person To Ever Amass 1million Followers On Instagram on
- Boko Haram Has Been Substantially Defeated – President Buhari on
- Federal Government, Labour Reach Agreement For Implementation Of N30,000 Minimum Wage For Nigerian Workers on
- Barcelona And Real Madrid Clasico Match Postponed Over Catalonia Protests on
- Malawi Police Accused Of Rape During Investigation on
- Cross River Lawmakers Shower Accolades On Young Politician on
- Samsung Acknowledges Galaxy S10 Fingerprint Access Flaw on
- Several Dozens Killed In Afghanistan Mosque Bombing on
- Prince William And Wife Begin Tour Of Pakistan on
- APC has Disintegrated Says PDP Following Attack On Adams Oshiomole on