The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) has appealed to relevant authorities to ensure prosecution of four officials of Federal Road Safety Corp (FRSC) who allegedly beat one Odion Samuel, to death.
The Director of MURIC, Prof. Ishaq Akintola, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja saying the incidence occurred on October 14, after the officials allegedly flagged down the deceased’s Audi 80 model car at Okhuaihe Hill along Benin-Agbor Road
He described the alleged killing as callous, wicked and detestable and demanded the prosecution of the officials involved.
”The alleged killing of Samuel Omafo Odion is callous, wicked and detestable. FRSC men disappointed Nigerians and we demand immediate prosecution of the suspects.
”We call on FRSC authorities to stop their men from flagging down motorists on lonely highways. Such method is an avenue for extortion, intimidation and other criminal activities like this recent killing.
”FRSC officials often expose motorists to danger by stopping them in odd places. Vehicles stopped on lonely stretches may refuse to start when the driver is eventually allowed to go, this is dangerous particularly with the security challenges facing Nigeria,” he said.
Akintola therefore, urged FRSC to educate its staff to ensure good human relations with the citizens in the field. ”There is also the need for FRSC leadership to review its recruitment methods with a view to weeding out criminal elements from inception.” He said.
Niger Army Kills 63 Terrorists In Attack On Military Base
Heavily armed assailants stormed a military base in Niger on Thursday killing 25 people and leading to fierce clashes that killed 63 “terrorists”, the defence ministry said, in an area where dozens died in a previous jihadist attack.
The raid near to the volatile frontier with Mali by attackers in vehicles and on motorbikes began in Chinegodar, in the western Tillaberi, at 01:00 pm (12H00 GMT), defence spokesman Colonel Souleymane Gazobi said on television.
“The response with the combined air support of the Niger air force and partners made it possible to strike and rout the enemy outside our boundaries,” he said. Partners often means US drones in the Sahel, or French fighter planes or drones in the country.
He put the toll at 25 dead and six injured on the “friendly side” and on the “enemy side 63 terrorists neutralised”.
The attack happened in the same region Tillaberi, also bordering Burkina Faso, where 71 Niger soldiers were killed in a December attack, claimed by the Islamic State group, that saw hundreds of jihadists storm a camp near the border with Mali with artillery.
It was the deadliest on Niger’s military since Islamist extremist violence began to spill over from neighbouring Mali in 2015, and dealt a blow to efforts to roll back jihadism in the Sahel.
That attack spurred leaders of the G5 Sahel nations to call for closer cooperation and international support in the battle against the Islamist threat.
Militant violence has spread across the vast Sahel region, especially in Burkina Faso and Niger, having started when armed Islamists revolted in northern Mali in 2012.
Thousands of civilians have also died and more than a million have been forced to flee their homes since the jihadist revolt began.
Analysts note an escalation in the jihadists’ operational tactics, which seem to have become bolder and more complex in recent months.
Ranged against them are the impoverished armies of Chad, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania and Niger, plus a 4,500-man French force in the Sahel and the 13,000-man UN force in Mali, MINUSMA.
The Sahel region of Africa lies to the south of the Sahara Desert and stretches across the breadth of the African continent.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Chief Okeke, Governorship Aspirant Blows Hot On The Need To Anchor Anambra on ICT Industrialization
Lai Mohammed Orders Implementation Of 70% Local Content In Broadcasting
Niger Army Kills 63 Terrorists In Attack On Military Base
UK Parliament Approves Historic Brexit Deal
FAAN Security Apprehends Intruder At MMA
12 Years After, NLNG Board Vote To Construct Multi-Billion-Dollar Gas Pipeline Project
China Launches Powerful Rocket Ahead Of Planned Mission To Mars
Challenged By China And Russia, US Launches Space Force
Ancelotti Appointed Everton Coach
NAN seeks stronger partnership with Chinese Embassy
Senate suspends plenary over colleague’s death
Impeachment fallout: New play about Nancy Pelosi to debut in Chicago
Buhari Committed To Good Governance, End Poverty – AU-NEPAD Boss
USA: Jeff Van Drew Up with Trump After House Impeachment Dumping Democratic Party
FG To Disconnect Benin, Togo Over $16m Power Supply Debts
I Am Alive And Bubbling – IBB
Ogboni Fraternity opens up on activities
Orji Kalu’s Properties Marks For Seizure By EFCC
Angola Commences Corruption Trial Of Ex-President’s Son
Soyinka Criticizes DSS for Sowore’s Re-arrest
- Judge Gives EFCC Ultimatum To Extradite Diezani Madueke From The UK on
- We Are Ready To Release Sowore, DSS Insists Despite Falana’s Statement on
- BREAKING: Super Eagles Beat Squirrels Of Benin 2:1 on
- Gunmen Kill Three Policemen In Kaduna on
- Trump ‘Not Watching’ Impeachment Hearing – White House Spokeswoman on
- Court Adjourns Police Service Commission’s Suit Challenging IGP’s Powers on
- Israeli Strike On Damascus Kills Palestinian Figure’s Son on
- Over 30 Killed In Landslide In West Cameroon on
- “There Is No Lawsuit Against Me – G-WorldWide Is Misleading The Public” – Kizz Daniel Responds on
- MURIC Calls For Prosecution Of Four FRSC Officials For Alleged Murder on
- Jennifer Aniston Breaks World Guiness Records As The Fastest Person To Ever Amass 1million Followers On Instagram on
- Boko Haram Has Been Substantially Defeated – President Buhari on
- Federal Government, Labour Reach Agreement For Implementation Of N30,000 Minimum Wage For Nigerian Workers on
- Barcelona And Real Madrid Clasico Match Postponed Over Catalonia Protests on
- Malawi Police Accused Of Rape During Investigation on
- Cross River Lawmakers Shower Accolades On Young Politician on
- Samsung Acknowledges Galaxy S10 Fingerprint Access Flaw on
- Several Dozens Killed In Afghanistan Mosque Bombing on
- Prince William And Wife Begin Tour Of Pakistan on
- APC has Disintegrated Says PDP Following Attack On Adams Oshiomole on