MTN Nigeria Communication Limited has filed a 9,100-page document in court to prove its N3bn claim against the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami.
Copies of the bulky document were brought in a coaster bus and delivered to the registry of the Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday.
The telecommunications firm had last year sued Malami over a letter in which he demanded that they pay N242bn and $1.3bn as import duties, withholding and value-added taxes – a move which the firm’s lawyer, Chief Wole Olanipekun (SAN), described as ‘malicious, unreasonable and one made on an incorrect legal basis’.
According to Olanipekun, Malami acted beyond his powers and violated the provisions of Section 36 of the constitution on fair hearing with “the purported revenue assets investigation” he carried out on the firm’s activities covering 2007 to 2017.
He, therefore, urged the court to award N3bn against Malami as general and exemplary damages.
The trial judge, Justice C.J. Aneke, had in May dismissed the preliminary objection filed by Malami, challenging the competence of the suit.
“From the endorsement on the writ, this suit was commenced on September 10, 2018 and a simple calculation shows that from August 23, 2018 when the cause of action arose to September 10, 2018, when the suit was instituted, a period of three months had not expired, as envisaged, for the suit to be statute barred,” Aneke ruled.
At the resumed hearing on Tuesday, the case, however, stalled with Justice Aneke adjourning till January 30, 2020.
Nigeria’s GDP Grows By 2.28% In Third Quater Of 2019
Data made available by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) shows that Nigeria’s gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 2.28% in the third quarter of 2019.
This is 0.17% percentage points higher than the 2.12% revised GDP growth recorded in the second quarter.
The GDP report which was released on Friday shows that the average daily oil production in the quarter was 2.04 million barrels per day (mbpd).
According to the NBS, the growth rate in Q3 of 2019 represents the second-highest quarterly rate recorded since 2016.
The non-oil sector grew by 1.85% during the third quarter. The sector was driven mainly by the Information and Communication sector. Other drivers were agriculture, mining and quarrying, transportation and storage, and manufacturing. In real terms, the non-oil sector contributed 90.23% to the nation’s GDP.
The mining and quarrying sector grew by 5.98% in Q3 2019. Quarrying and other minerals exhibited the highest growth rate of all the sub-activities at 58.03%, followed by coal at 43.68%.
The agricultural sector grew by 14.88% in Q3 2019, showing a decline of –3.44% points from the same quarter of 2018.
The manufacturing sector in the third quarter of 2019 was recorded at 39.69%
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Chief Okeke, Governorship Aspirant Blows Hot On The Need To Anchor Anambra on ICT Industrialization
Lai Mohammed Orders Implementation Of 70% Local Content In Broadcasting
Niger Army Kills 63 Terrorists In Attack On Military Base
UK Parliament Approves Historic Brexit Deal
FAAN Security Apprehends Intruder At MMA
12 Years After, NLNG Board Vote To Construct Multi-Billion-Dollar Gas Pipeline Project
China Launches Powerful Rocket Ahead Of Planned Mission To Mars
Challenged By China And Russia, US Launches Space Force
Ancelotti Appointed Everton Coach
NAN seeks stronger partnership with Chinese Embassy
Senate suspends plenary over colleague’s death
Impeachment fallout: New play about Nancy Pelosi to debut in Chicago
Buhari Committed To Good Governance, End Poverty – AU-NEPAD Boss
USA: Jeff Van Drew Up with Trump After House Impeachment Dumping Democratic Party
FG To Disconnect Benin, Togo Over $16m Power Supply Debts
I Am Alive And Bubbling – IBB
Ogboni Fraternity opens up on activities
Orji Kalu’s Properties Marks For Seizure By EFCC
Angola Commences Corruption Trial Of Ex-President’s Son
Soyinka Criticizes DSS for Sowore’s Re-arrest
- Judge Gives EFCC Ultimatum To Extradite Diezani Madueke From The UK on
- We Are Ready To Release Sowore, DSS Insists Despite Falana’s Statement on
- BREAKING: Super Eagles Beat Squirrels Of Benin 2:1 on
- Gunmen Kill Three Policemen In Kaduna on
- Trump ‘Not Watching’ Impeachment Hearing – White House Spokeswoman on
- Court Adjourns Police Service Commission’s Suit Challenging IGP’s Powers on
- Israeli Strike On Damascus Kills Palestinian Figure’s Son on
- Over 30 Killed In Landslide In West Cameroon on
- “There Is No Lawsuit Against Me – G-WorldWide Is Misleading The Public” – Kizz Daniel Responds on
- MURIC Calls For Prosecution Of Four FRSC Officials For Alleged Murder on
- Jennifer Aniston Breaks World Guiness Records As The Fastest Person To Ever Amass 1million Followers On Instagram on
- Boko Haram Has Been Substantially Defeated – President Buhari on
- Federal Government, Labour Reach Agreement For Implementation Of N30,000 Minimum Wage For Nigerian Workers on
- Barcelona And Real Madrid Clasico Match Postponed Over Catalonia Protests on
- Malawi Police Accused Of Rape During Investigation on
- Cross River Lawmakers Shower Accolades On Young Politician on
- Samsung Acknowledges Galaxy S10 Fingerprint Access Flaw on
- Several Dozens Killed In Afghanistan Mosque Bombing on
- Prince William And Wife Begin Tour Of Pakistan on
- APC has Disintegrated Says PDP Following Attack On Adams Oshiomole on